Guest Review - Savor - Megan Duncan

by 6:37 PM 0 comments

Hello everyone. I'm Fry. I run a relatively new book blog with my friend Eugene. I'm still trying to get the hang of things and I'm still trying to find my voice. But, I'm very happy to be here helping Claire out with this, my very first (gasp) guest post.


“When Claire Miller turned eighteen all she wanted to do was celebrate her birthday, but after a night on the town with her best friend she awakes to a visitor she never expected. The rulers of her region, a vampire royal family, have chosen her to be turned as their new heir and vampire princess. Claire quickly discovers the royal family is not what they seem and that she has secrets in her past, she never knew existed.” (Blurb via Goodreads.)

Savor was one of those books that I whimsically downloaded because Amazon had it for free on their site. There were some glaring typos, unfinished sentences and a few cases of homonym replacement. I'm used to reading something more polished, but it was free.

The story itself was closer to a short story than a novel. I felt it could have been fleshed out extraneously in order to fix some of the issues I had with the pacing. The romance, from the presentation, felt forced, as though the characters, after seeing each other a handful of times and, from our perspective, lacking any thought for the other, are madly in love. There is also a love triangle heaved upon the plot as though it is a pack mule. The story was fine without the love triangle, it felt tacked on for the trope factor.

The world itself is interesting, a different take on vampires than I am used to. It also suffers from pacing. There is a failed coup, but there are only hints to its possibility before it actually happens. I needed more foreboding, more character development. What I got was a childish villain running around cackling madly, only to be put in their place.

Perhaps the worst part of this bad pacing was the info dump in the last chapter. “Oh by the way,” is not the note I want to end the book on.
Still, the sequel is only $2.99 on Amazon and I'm tempted to check it out. This story was merely alright, buoyed by the possibilities it possessed. I'm hoping that the second book polishes some of the issues I had with the book to deliver a great story. It has the potential!


Thank you so much to Fry for helping me out with this amazing guest blog!
<3

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D