"Blast from the Past" - Feeling Sorry For Celia

by 12:30 AM 1 comments

"Blast from the Past" is my brand new feature - a post in which I talk about a book I read more than a year or so ago! Today I am featuring...




feeling sorry for celia - Jaclyn moriarty

Publisher: Pan macmillan

Synopsis: ""Life is pretty complicated for Elizabeth Clarry. Her best friend, Celia, keeps disappearing, her absent father suddenly reappears, and her communication with her mother consists entirely of wacky notes left on the fridge. On top of everything else, because her English teacher wants to rekindle the "Joy of the Envelope," a Complete and Utter Stranger knows more about Elizabeth than anyone else.

But Elizabeth is on the verge of some major changes. She may lose her best friend, find a wonderful new friend, kiss the sexiest guy alive, and run in a marathon. So much can happen in the time it takes to write a letter..."

When it was released - Sometime in 2000

When I first read it - Sometime in 2007

What I thought of it - 

Jaclyn Moriarty is another amazing Australian author. I absolutely loved it of course! It's the first in a whole "series".

The Good -

This book has a lot of "letter writing" - it is a pen-pal program run between two schools. It was totally something different, and it was so different to anything I had ever read before. It made me laugh, it made me think and in the end, I was teary with joy!

The Bad - 

Elizabeth is a bit of a downer for most of the book.

Fun Facts - 

Feeling Sorry for Celia has won several awards, including:
  • Winner in 2001 of the Ethel Turner prize
  • A Children’s Book Council of Australia Notable Book
  • A BookSense 76 Pick
  • An American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults
  • A White Ravens selection

Quotes - 

“I hope you feel better today. Please ring me at work if you are dead.” 


“Dear Complete and Utter Stranger,

The first thing that I have to say is that I hate oatmeal. I really hate it. And you know what? If you like oatmeal at all? I mean even the tiniest bit? I mean, say you were lost in the Himalayas, right, and you hadn't eaten anything except a Mars Bar for about seven years, right, and you're really cold and your fingers are all dropping off, right, and you look behind this rock, and there's this bowl of oatmeal?
Say you would even think about eating the oatmeal?
Well, JUST DON'T BOTHER WRITING TO ME, OKAY?" - Elizabeth Clarry



“It's a vicious cycle. It's like a washing machine with the lid jammed down" - Christina Kratovac


Rating -



5 bookstacks

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favourite books when I was in high school! Elizabeth was awesome. A total must re-read - don't know if I like the new edition covers though!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D