Rape Girl - Alina Klein

by 12:30 AM 2 comments
rape girl - alina klein
Released: august 15, 2012
Publisher: namelos






Synopsis: "valerie always wanted to be the smart girl. The pretty girl. The popular girl.

But not the rape girl.

That’s who she is now. Rape Girl. Because everyone seems to think they know the truth about what happened with Adam that day, and they don’t think Valerie’s telling it.

Before, she had a best friend, a crush, and a close-knit family. After, she has a court case, a support group, and a house full of strangers.

The real truth is, nothing will ever be the same."




What it's about: A teenage girl experiences the aftermath of telling her mother she was raped.


What I thought: This story was so raw, so real, I was so afraid to read it. Yes, rape is not uncommon (unfortunately) - but to read about it in a YA book so openly was scary. It really makes you think, makes you wonder. I felt so sorry for poor Valerie throughout the book. We know she has done the right thing, by coming forward, but to watch her lose everything she has ever known is heartbreaking. Valerie is the victim of the story, yet she doesn't feel that way. She gets taken out of her math class that she has with Adam - why her? She did nothing wrong and now she gets punished for it. Things like this throughout the book really hit hard, at how nasty and ignorant some people are


the good: Valerie learns to be strong, she makes a new friend, meets a new guy. She uses her experience to push forward. She learns that love, loss and family aren't always black and white.


the bad: The only thing I didn't really like about the book was the ending. (Highlight below for spoilers)

[ I don't usually post spoilers, but in this case, I have to get this off my chest. I know that not all rape cases win, but I felt they left too much open. What happened to all the blood (etc) samples they took? Why couldn't they prove it? Plus in the end when Valerie and Adam are talking in the office, he openly admits it, with the Councillor standing outside, yet she happens not to hear anything or do anything? Seriously, not cool]

Rating:


4 bookstacks


buy links:

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow. This book sounds epic. I have it to review on my Kindle, but I haven't gotten to it yet, the cover sort of threw me off. But now, I most definitely will read it today.

    Great review. I love books like this, kind of like Ellen Hopkins. Right? But without the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a powerful book. The title itself is a litte tough- so I can imagine that this is a book that will make me think and feel some strong emotions. I didn't read the spoiler- but I am sorry to hear the ending wasn't great.

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D