Pivot Point - Kasie West

by 12:30 AM 2 comments

Pivot Point - 
Kasie West
Released: February 12, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen


Synopsis: Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

What it's about: Addison lives in a compound where each person uses one hundred percent of their brains, and each has a kind of mind-power. Addie can search into her own future if faced with a choice, and see both outcomes - which is what she does when her parent's tell her they're getting a divorce. Her mother is staying inside the compound, but her father is leaving, to live with the norms, and Addie has to choose.



What I thought: When I started this book, I went in not really remembering what it was about. I knew it was a paranormal/dystopian type book, but I couldn't read the synopsis I'd read previously. All I knew was that everyone was talking about how amazing it was, and now I know why. I literally could not put this book down. Despite how late it was and how tired I was, I refused to succumb to sleep - I needed to see how the story ended. In one life, Addie chooses her father and moves out of the compound, meeting Trevor and making new friends with the norms, keeping her old life a secret. Trevor is cute, fun and he understands her. In her other life, she stays in the compound with her mother and begins dating the hottest boy in her school, Duke, despite the fact that they have nothing in common. But something big is looming at the end, and it'll hit you like a truck.

Throughout the book, I had to keep reminding myself that at the end of the search, she was going to have to pick a life, and through the whole book I thought I knew which one it would be... Until the big twist at the end. I felt connected to Addie and her emotions, giving me the feeling that I was there the whole time. This is definitely one book to put at the top of your to-be-read pile! I don't why I hadn't started it sooner!

I have to say to everyone, this is a huge contender for my favourite book of 2013!


The Good: Finding out unexpectedly that Pivot Point is going to have a sequel and my love-fest for Kasie West's beautiful writing, and of course Trevor can continue!!


The Bad: Realising said sequel has no cover, no synopsis and no official release date yet, only a looming '2014'. WANT NOW!


Rating:

5 bookstacks

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

2 comments:

  1. yup, this book is freaking amazing! though it isn't dystopian nor paranormal, it is more sci/fi with the parallel worlds. I LOVED it and I am NOT a sci-fi fan. I think this appeals to so many people, and like you, I knew which life I wanted her to choose but THEN THE TWIST! *heart breaks*.. I am so impatient, 2014 IS SO FAR..

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh you make me all excited to read this now!!! I promise I'll get to it soon so we can discuss :D

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D