Cured - Bethany Wiggins

by 12:30 AM 0 comments
Cured - Bethany Wiggins
(Stung #2)

Released: March 13, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury AUS
SynopsisNow that Fiona Tarsis and her twin brother, Jonah, are no longer beasts, they set out to find their mother, with the help of Bowen and a former neighbor, Jacqui. Heading for a safe settlement rumored to be in Wyoming, they plan to spread the cure along the way--until they are attacked by raiders. Luckily, they find a new ally in Kevin, who saves them and leads them to safety in his underground shelter. But the more they get to know Kevin, the more they suspect he has ties to the raiders. He also seems to know too many details about Jacqui and her family—details that could endanger them all. For the raiders will do anything they can to destroy the cure that would bring an end to their way of life. Bethany Wiggins’s reimagining of our world after an environmental catastrophe won’t fail to stun readers.


~ Goodreads ~

* * *

What I Thought: Oh boy. I have to start by saying I absolutely LOVED Stung. I was blown away by how much I actually loved it and it was one of my 5-star reads for 2013. Cured, however, was a much different story. I mean sure, it had a lot going on. It was exciting. Fiona, Jonah and Bowen are back. We meet some new characters. Yet it just didn't have the same magic as Stung did. Most likely, for me, because Jacqui annoyed the freaking crap out of me, the entire time.

Jacqui has been living as a boy since she was thirteen years old - fair enough, it must be pretty damn horrible what she went through, and I'd be pretty upset too if I had to look like a boy while Fiona waltzes around accidentally flaunting all her womanly features. Yet Jacqui knows it is for her safety, and somehow still she is like a rollercoaster, up and down and who can't figure out whether she wants to be Arthur or Martha (quite almost literally though!). 

Jacqui is in search of her brother which leads her to Fiona, Bowden and Jonah. They end up running from the raiders, hiding with a random named Kevin, and all the while hiding the cure. A lot certainly goes on, and while I can see why this one needed to be from Jacqui's point of view, it didn't make it any easier to get through.

If you've read Stung, I still suggest reading Cured because it was a good conclusion to the story, and I know I certainly needed the closure!


The Good: Very interesting ending to the duology!

The Bad: JACQUI STOP YOUR JEALOUS WHINGING, please.

Rating:


Mad Claire
xo

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D