The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski

by 12:30 AM 0 comments
The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski

Released: July 3, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury AUS
SynopsisWinning what you want may cost you everything you love.

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction.

Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.


~ Goodreads ~

* * *

What I Thought: THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK AND IT'S FEELS. I read this book in two sittings, in less than twenty-four hours. I couldn't put it down for anything except sleep - and I wouldn't have even done that if I could have stayed up longer. The Winner's Curse, a book set in a fantasy world, about a girl who buys a slave and gets more than she bargained for. A lot more.
Arin and Kestrel aren't a typical love story, so if you think it's going to be all romance and longing then you are so wrong.

Kestrel is the daughter of the General of the Valorian army, one of the most fierce and powerful nations. By chance she stumbles upon a slave auction, and is intrigued by a young defiant looking man, and decides to buy him. In turn, the begin to learn about each other, taking some drastic measures for the other and in the end, having to deal with betrayal and love.

This book grabbed me from the start and I just enjoyed the beautiful word-building so much that I couldn't put it down. Yes, there are some parts that seem unnecessary, but as the novel progresses, you realise they are actually quite important to the plotline. Of course, this novel does too have a cliffhanger ending and the thought of waiting until March for the next one makes me want to cry. So if that isn't an indication of how good this book is, then there isn't really much more I can say to convince you. You'll just have to trust my word for it, so go out and grab this book now.

The Good: This book kept me on the edge of my seat, I literally only put it down to sleep (because it was already so late!) so I definitely count that as a big win!

The Bad: The wait for the next novel! Give it to me NOW!!

Rating:


Mad Claire
xo

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D