The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart

by 12:30 AM 1 comments
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart
Released: January 2, 2015
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
SynopsisFrankie Landau-Banks at age 14: Debate Club. Her father's 'bunny rabbit'. A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15: A knockout figure. A sharp tongue. A chip on her shoulder.

And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Landau-Banks: No longer the kind of girl to take 'no' for an answer. Especially when 'no' means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society. Not when her ex-boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places. Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them. When she knows Matthew's lying to her. And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 16: Possibly a criminal mastermind.

This is the story of how she got that way.
 


~ Goodreads ~

* * *

What I Thought: So I absolutely loved Lockhart's novel - We Were Liars - so I came into this one with extremely high expectations... Unfortunately this story fell short for me. Don't get me wrong, I had a bit of a laugh, but I thought that half the book was literally Frankie dealing with her relationship with Matthew. It's about page 220 that the excitement of Frankie pulling the string for the pranks actually begins, just a fraction of the novel really. 
I also didn't quite feel like the main character grew or changed or learned anything, which I think could have been pivotal to the storyline.

This book had fantastic potential, and I can see how some people would love Frankie and her charm, but it really wasn't for me. Knowing this book was written long before We Were Liars puts some perspective into the different writing styles.
Anyone wanting a fun, fairly light-hearted read will enjoy this one!

Have you read this one? Did you prefer it to We Were Liars?

The Good: I did like the way Frankie had her time, being the mastermind pranker and having the boys do her bidding - made me laugh!

The Bad: I didn't like the way it was written (Frankies obsession with negatives of words), or the way it ended.

Rating:


Mad Claire
xo

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

1 comment:

  1. I bought this book in the US four years ago and still haven't gotten around to reading it. Sad to hear you didn't enjoy it. I think it will stay my TBR pile a while longer. xx

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D