The Hunt - Andrew Fukuda

by 1:00 PM 7 comments

The Hunt - Andrew Fukuda


"Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.
 
Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.
 
When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?" 

The Hunt - dubbed the next big thing for fans of Hunger Games. Perhaps it will be, it has had many a 5 star review. For me, however, it is not. After I finished reading, I went onto Goodreads and read some of the 5 star reviews, and some of the 2 star reviews. As it turns out, all the people who posted 2 and 3 star reviews had the exact same problems with the novel as I did.

Vampires dominating a human world. This is not a story about romance, this is a story about survival. But holy smokes, it is ridiculously unrealistic. Now that may sound silly, considering it is a novel about vampires but here is why.

Gene, the main character, has been hiding all his life in among the vampires. He can't sweat, he can't clear his throat, he can't get smelly, he can't even have hair on his body or the vampires will discover he is human. How on earth, would anyone be able to pull that off for 17 odd years of their life? I really think that isn't humanly possible.

Put that aside, I felt there were so many question left unanswered. Are these vampires dead or alive? They must have a heart-beat or they would have noticed Gene's straight away. They must age right? Do they reproduce? Or did I miss all these important points in my skimming of the seemingly boring parts?

Then there are the super weird bits - don't get me wrong, I love to seem how authors portray things differently, but this just seemed even too weird for me. Scratching your wrist instead of laughing? Yeah, maybe. Armpit/Elbow sex? That is just too weird for words. Plus the vampire drool A LOT. Like every other page. That's just gross.

But don't take my word for it. I seem to be part of the minority that just didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Check it out for yourself, and then let me know your thoughts!

Grab yourself a copy of The Hunt now!

     -     Amazon     -     Barnes and Noble     -     The Book Depository     -

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

7 comments:

  1. tnx 4the review
    bummr it was flat 4u
    i loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I didn't like this one that much either, though I loved the originality in the premise. I had so many questions about the vamps as well. Can they turn other humans into vamps or do they just kill them? :| Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've really been looking forward to this one, I'm a bit sad it doesn't live up to expectations! Will still read it, though maybe it can wait a little longer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Armpit sex". Huh. I don't mind stuff that are weird as long as they're entertaining but from what I see here, the weird far outstrips the entertaining...

    anywho, thanks for the great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did not skip those parts because it is NOT said at all. I had the same problems in my review. it made NO sense how he could have hid his entire life because surely he had to screw up. they HAD to have heard his heartbeat because they apparently can hear a blood drop a mile away. ugggggh. it's annoying that the worldbuilding was so minimalism.

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your thoughts and honest review. I will check it out at some point I'm sure.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D