If I Lie - Corrine Jackson

by 9:08 PM 4 comments

If I Lie - 
Corrine Jackson
Released: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse

Synopsis: A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise.


What it's about: Quinn was caught kissing someone other than her boyfriend Carey. Shunned and branded a traitor by her small town, Quinn has a lot more to hide that who she was kissing, she has to hide Carey's secrets too.


What I thought: HOLEY SMOKES! This book was absolutely freaking amazing. It drew me in from the first page and took me on an emotional rollercoaster like no other. We find out fairly early on what Carey's secret is, and though it didn't surprise me, it didn't make this book any less awesome. Switching between the present and the past, in bits and pieces we slowly see how Quinn got to where she is in the present day. We watch her take the accusations and insults into her stride, determined not to let them get to her as hard as that may be.

Quinn was such a well written character, so strong and brave despite everything, until you see her silently break down on her own. People don't know her. They don't know the truth and that slowly eats away at her. It doesn't help that she's facing this alone, no one cares. Well, almost no-one. Enter George, a patient at the Veteran's Hospital that she has befriended over the past few months. George doesn't care about the gossip, he doesn't believe it and it doesn't matter to him. George made my heart ache, at the painfully raw truths he brings to light, at the perfect time when Quinn needs them.
Despite the fact that we don't see much of him apart from the flashbacks, I like Carey. Well, liked and hated at the same time for allowing Quinn to go through so much for him.
Then there is Blake. Blake is such a powerful character through-out this story, that you have to love him. He isn't all swoon, like many other male characters, but he is much much more. He is real.

This book was so heart-wrenching, I couldn't help but cry like a little girl. Everyone, pick up this book. Read it. Devour it. Love it. Do it.


the good: George. I can say that I love him as a character more than any others for a long time.


the bad: There is zero bad in this book. It is one hundred percent perfect.


Rating:



  5 bookstacks


Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

4 comments:

  1. Wow if you loved it that much I will have to get to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this this morning and I totally loved it too! Was so hard putting this down for the indie-read-a-thon! I cried at the end too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you like this. I am really looking forward to read this one and your review I really want it now. Great review..

    Jenea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay you got me I am getting this one. Not going to lie I totally wasn't sure if I wanted to pick it up but now it's a MUST!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D