INK - Amanda Sun

by 12:30 AM 0 comments
INK - 
Amanda Sun
Released: July 1, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Australia

Synopsis: On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.


What I thought: Ink is a story very different to anything I've read before. Katie is a westerner stuck in Japan after a family tragedy. Very early on she meets Tomohiro, a gorgeous but mean boy at her school. Tomo is hiding a very big secret and Katie seems to bring out the worst in him. While Ink is definitely a story about the Kami and the moving ink pictures, I thought it was more about Katie's time in Japan and her connection with Tomo. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was more interested in the ink drawings. As this was the first in a series, it left me with many burning questions, which will hopefully be answered in future books. Tomohiro is a character that I loved then hated then loved again. He is a diverse character and we see many different sides to him throughout the story. Amanda Sun has also added some humor to the story, just to give it something extra and you can't help but love Tanaka and Yuki, the form the humor comes in.

This is a pretty great novel, despite how long it took me to get through. The Japanese terms slowed me down, and I was constantly having to turn to the glossary at the back of the book. Despite this, I am looking forward to the next one.


The Good: I just loved the premise of the story - unlike anything I've read before.


The Bad: A lot of the Japanese terms flew straight over my head, making it a bit slow for me to read.


Rating:

4 bookstacks

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D